Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A7 Value ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member sunset_street's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    A7 Value ?

    Hi, new member here looking for a little help, hope this question is not out of line, not trying to spam or sell here. I have a pair of A7 speakers for sale and I'm wondering how much they may be worth. I have researched extensively on craigslist and ebay with inconclusive results as far as value of these particular speakers.

    These are in the enclosed cabinet 42"H x 30"W x 24"D. They have been in the family since the 60s when my dad bought them and covered the cabinets with veneer and grill cloth. Other than that they are original equipment. Component specs are 416A, 806A, 811B, N-800-D. Nearest I can figure they are 1966 vintage according to the component serial #s. My dad purchased them in 1967 or 1968 and I have owned them since 1990.

    I have photos of them, exterior and components. They are in great shape. Does anyone have an idea of what they are worth?

    Thanks for any help or advice.

    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Value ?

    Prices are all over the map, as you have found. Anywhere from $400 to $1400+. If they are very clean and have been in the family since new, you'll get a better price. Being willing to ship will also help you sell, big time. Tho out in Bakersfield you can draw on a large population within driving range.

    Not much help, I know. But some of the guys here will be more precise. Photos will go a long way to help.

    BTW, why are you selling? Don't you like them?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 Value ?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Value ?

    Probably 1400 is fair, you are a bit high at 1800, looks like even higher in the beginning

    Nice set though

    Altec Lansing Voice Of The Theater Speakers
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    A7 Value ?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Value ?

    Hi Chris, :welcome: to the board.It is a shame that you have to sell something that has been in your family possesion for so long.They are really nice speakers and probably sound great.If you need the most you can get you have to be willing to ship them or at the very least drop them off at a freight company so they could palletize them for you.:2thumbsup:

  5. #5
    Inactive Member sunset_street's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Value ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Hi Chris, :welcome: to the board.It is a shame that you have to sell something that has been in your family possesion for so long.They are really nice speakers and probably sound great.If you need the most you can get you have to be willing to ship them or at the very least drop them off at a freight company so they could palletize them for you.:2thumbsup:
    It's kind of funny, all I've known about these speakers for years is that they are Altec Lansing VOTT ca. 1966-7 and that they sound better than anything I've ever heard. Never had the back off of them and did not know the exact components until recently. None of that mattered because they were already the ultimate speakers for me. Sentimental value and I just love old stuff that works better than anything new. Nothing wrong with new tech, just that sometimes old tech is even better. Now I'm rambling...

    I have an interested party now local to the socal area who is trying to figure out how much these are worth. If I can't get my price, I'll just have to keep them.

    Chris

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    A7 Value ?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Value ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sunset_street View Post
    Nothing wrong with new tech, just that sometimes old tech is even better.
    Yes it is ,because so much of it is made in China or Southeast Asia and it is mostly junk, works for a year or two and then craps out! It is cheaper to replace then to repair it is so cheap. See it keeps you shopping in the stores a lot, year after year for the same things.Unlike years ago when you bought stuff and didn't need to buy it again for 20+ years in your case 40+ get used to it. I don't see this changing anytime soon.There is kind of a correlation between jobs lost here and them springing up there.IMHO


    If I can't get my price, I'll just have to keep them.
    Good choice! Then you won't be making one mistake after another. :2thumbsup:

    I would sell the Boob Tube first but they aren't worth a whole lot unless it is a 50" flat screen or something like that.

    Good Luck with your sale if you do sell them.Here's the classified link if you want to post them here.

    Main Index - Hostboard Classifieds & Auctions

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sunset_street's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Value ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Probably 1400 is fair, you are a bit high at 1800, looks like even higher in the beginning

    Nice set though
    Thanks. Had a guy who owns a recording studio who was going to buy them sight unseen (or should that be unheard?) for 2500 based on a recommend from a mutual friend. Unfortunately he has suffered a series of financial hardships, house burnt down etc. If I can't get enough for them I may just have to keep them. Will probably kick myself later when things turn around if I do sell them.

    Chris

  8. #8
    Inactive Member sunset_street's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Value ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Prices are all over the map, as you have found. Anywhere from $400 to $1400+. If they are very clean and have been in the family since new, you'll get a better price. Being willing to ship will also help you sell, big time. Tho out in Bakersfield you can draw on a large population within driving range.

    Not much help, I know. But some of the guys here will be more precise. Photos will go a long way to help.

    BTW, why are you selling? Don't you like them?
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I absolutely love these speakers and never thought I would be selling them. The reason is financial, not a lack of love for the VOTT.

    Chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.